Hi! I wanted to participate in this challenge. I'm also fairly beginner to Unity. I have animation for my scene but it was animated in Quill so unfortunately will be a static scene. I will try to animate camera movement in the scene using the "Spawnpoint" camera. 

6.png

4.png

5.png

7.png

9.png

3.png

Story:

This is based on a moment in time during my 13th birthday spent at my grandparent’s chalet in the Blue Mountains, Ontario. My dad bought a model rocket and we let it blast off to celebrate! My grandfather was always reading the "Toronto Star" newspaper and my grandmother had many plants that she watered. My grandma had to sell this chalet a few years ago so I wanted to preserve the great memories in the amazing tool of VR. This scene is fully animated in Quill, you can see my grandmothers reaction to her chalet in VR! 

Hi Sam!

Welcome to the challenge. Your plan sounds good.
Let's discuss it a bit, so you can get your story to Figurama app the best way possible.

1. Animations

Quill has a wonderful way to export animations using the Alembic format. This by itself is possible to get to run in Unity, by enabling the "hidden by default" package (explained in footnote 1) or using an older version of the package from GitHub. (https://github.com/unity3d-jp/AlembicForUnity)

The plugin assumes that the Alembic file is located inside Unity Project Assets folder, but in Figurama app, it is not present, and is only downloaded as an asset bundle from our servers. For this, Alembic is not yet operational in our app, but should be possible to fix & make the Alembic format work on Windows and Mac versions of our app (which are coming this month).

There is an issue, that this plugin doesn't yet support iOS/Android. This is still possible to fix, especially for Android, but for iOS is a bit more work. Doing so we are basically doing work for Unity and it's on our backlog, but it will not be possible this month yet.
https://github.com/unity3d-jp/AlembicForUnity/issues/65

When we make Alembic work as part of our App for Windows and Mac versions and those become available to download, we can talk about bringing the fully animated scene to the app as part of your challenge submission!

2. Static scenes

Currently you can extract keyframes from your animated Quill scene and drop those into Unity as separate scenes, which will be connected via buttons (Load next scene). Subtitles are also coming in time for the challenge, in case you will want to add dialogue / captions / narration.

3. Camera movement

The camera movement is all in users "hands",  so it will not be useful for the experience to create a pre-animated camera by yourself. The spawn point has indeed an attached camera, but is used only as a guide for you. The spawn point is used by the app only to position the viewer / player into the initial viewing position of the scene. After that the viewer / player will control his view by using touch/mouse/VR controller...

We are still working on the best possible controls for a story-experience, so that we are neither a 3D model viewer nor a 3D walkthrough. This part is handled by us 🙂

If you have any more questions or want to discuss something, feel free to respond. Good luck.

1.) The package is not discoverable in Package Manager of Unity. You'll need to manually add it to the [PROJECT NAME]/Packages/manifest.json file in your Unity project. You can do this by opening the file in a text editor (notepad, textedit, visual studio code,...) and adding the line below in the section called "dependencies".

"com.unity.formats.alembic" : "1.0.0-preview.7"
(source: https://forum.unity.com/threads/alembic-for-unity.521649/page-2, comment #78)

Hello! Thank you for the reply. My Quill fbx file with animation is currently 962 MB which is very large and crashes my computer. That is my main concern. 

It is indeed a bit high. I can try to open your file and see if I can get it to load. Another option you might have is to export some groups of layers separately, and then bring it together in Unity.

So I would go into the Quill file, and export static frames throughout the animation  instead of all the frames compiled together? Basically a slideshow of the story? Is it better to do Alembic or FBX for this? I also had some trouble duplicating a scene in Unity, when I duplicated the scene and made changes to the duplicated scene it kept affecting both the duplicated scene and the original scene (when I want it to be affecting only the duplicated scene)

If it's possible, could you please create a Unity project taking my assets and do a bit of a mock-up scene? (I've watched the Tutorials but just still very beginner with scene settings in Unity). If not that is fine, it would be helpful. 

1. Slideshow: Yes, that's what I think would work at this point in time, the "what you called" a slideshow method. This would be better in FBX.
2. Duplicate scene: I know what you mean. This will probably be a matter of editing a prefab, and once you apply the prefab it will affect it in other scenes as well. But could be something else.

I'd like to help you out, so if I can get your let's say fbx files for the slides or a single one at least, I'll drop it in unity and create a few versions of the scene. Perhaps I'd record a video of the process. Tutorials are, on the other hand, a new thing for me, but they are coming.

I'll wait for a DL link through pm?